Monday, September 10, 2012

First day...


Dear my fellow readers and fans,

I'm extremely sorry, but I have been desperately trying to post three videos of the flat and rood top terrace where I live, for your viewing pleasure, but for some reason it isn't working.  Which is a shame because they provide a mightily interesting insight into my life.  But also I wanted to make you green with envy.

So instead, I shall lumber you with a monologue about my weekend and back to school tales.  I might try and do a quick photo dash around the flat too, but that potato isn't going to jacket itself.

I shall begin with Friday.

Friday

Actually no, how about I recount the First Aid course of Wednesday?

Wednesday

On Wednesday we went for a First Aid course,with the nice Panamanian man from the Red Cross.  The most important thing we found out was that if a child gets a graze on the playground, then they must go straight to Accident and Emergency.  911, Emergency Services.  We laboured the point a little, just to double check, but we left without a shadow of a doubt.  Emergency.  Well, that should save on First Aid kits anyhow.

But what about Monday?  I hear some of you cry.  It's my favourite day of the week, oh do tell me a little about Monday.  Which naturally starts the Tuesday lovers piping up.  So for Tuesday and Thursday and Friday, please apply Monday's story...

Monday

Went into school.  No display boards up yet, no laptops, no air conditioning, no resources (they're stuck in Panama city docks* awaiting paperwork)

*For Thursday this now changes to Miami docks

Friday

On Friday evening we were so tired we decided we needed cheering up.  We got our special cocktail straws out, which naturally brighten the darkest of moods, cracked open the sparkling rose, and fine dined on pasta and pesto in Ali's flat.  We then met up with some friends we made when we were at the Bass' (please see blog 1 if this means nothing to you.  It was a crucial stepping stone in my life, and would be a shame for you to miss out).  We went to Ben who works at the Embassy's flat around the corner, and also met his girlfriend.  Both of whom are from London.  There was also Tristan (from England) and Ariel and Laura (from Panama)  And they all work at the Embassy.  They took us to a really fun, open air club, which is on the Amador causeway (a road out to the islands off from the city). There were only Panamanians there, and it was a right old hoot.  I schooled a few people in some of my more modern dance techniques, along with a fusion of some classic moves.  I think I can be pretty confident when I say that no Panamanian, or in fact some British, had seen some of these twists and turns before.  The other interesting cultural point is that in Panama it is the down with the kids thing, to only play fifteen seconds of a track.  That way, just as it is dawning on you what that classic Panamanian number 1 hit was, the D.J. will quickly change the track, to keep the surprises coming.

Our friend Ariel has a car, and he said he would take us to a Caribbean beach on Sunday for the day.  Imagine our excitement!

Saturday

Saturday means, Coat Hanger day!  Shan, Ali and I hit the mall with our lists, mine had 'coat hangers' written on it, and nothing else.  Some thought this was debatable as to whether it is still a list.  I also got a dongle which doesn't work in my flat, and a pair of sandals.  I bought six glasses for the flat at $1.99, a bargain considering the free kidney bean that came inside one of the glasses.  Fortunately they didn't spot that at the till, and I came away feeling pretty smug.

5.30pm A call received.  Must go in to school on Sunday and cancel all Caribbean plans.

Sunday

Due in at school at 1pm, so a cheery start to the day with a trip to the New York Bagel place. This was located on Plaza Cabeza de Einstein (Head of Einstein's Square)  If you come to Panama and are a little unsure, because street names haven't arrived here (possibly in a dock in Miami), then just look out for the MASSIVE head of Einstein in a square.  The bagel place was very cool, in a loft kind of place, with lots of bagels.

1pm school.  Operation GO GO GO (until 8pm)

Monday

A manic first day.  Nine kids in today of my eleven and only two speak English, and as of yet, no TA or nursery nurse.  And no resources.  I will leave you to imagine.  My favourite part of the day was hearing Ali walk past my classroom with her class of two, saying 'walk in a line'.

And that is me up to date.  I will try and get photos of the flat if I can't get the videos to work.

Thank you for all the lovely emails and messages.  I'm sure things will normalise soon .. :- / and I'll be able to spend some time replying and catching up.

Love galore to you all,
Rachel x x x x x

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Your social life sounds great. Meeting lovely people and having a great time. As for school.No nursery nurse or resources. Hmmmmmmm. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get yourself over here Beverley!! x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am still recovering from op. Maybe I should have come over to recuperate. Now that would have been good. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete